Sunday 24 February 2008

Tah Dah!

My De-Stashing Vest is done - better pictures when there is someone awake in the house to take them.

Details
Pattern: Boogie Vest by Amy King, modified somewhat by me
Needles: size 6 mm bamboo straights
Yarn: almost exactly 4 balls of Sidar Denim Chunky, in a burgundy/cream colour (has been in my stash for 5 - years ... one of the first yarns I ever bought, back when Have a Yarn was in Bridgewater! ~ I still have 1 left in this colour and 2 in just cream -- suggestions?)
Mods: The sleeve openings called for a single crochet edging - I don't know how to crochet, and they looked horrible with nothing finishing them, so I picked up 80 st. around the armholes, and knit a 2 x 2 rib (much better). I also wasn't very happy with the neckline - in the picture in the pattern, it looks like the cables twist the whole way up to the shoulders. They don't, they just end and there is an area with 18 st. bound off between where the cables ends, and where the shoulder seams join (I didn't read the pattern carefully, or I would have tried to get the cables to go to the shoulder seams -- instead, I picked up and knit a 2x2 rib collar to "fix" the neckline and give it a finished look.)
Again?: Yeah .. possibly, but maybe next time, I'd go for a bigger needle (I am a tight knitter and this vest is really thick, stiff fabric), make it a little longer, and maybe try sleeves along with a mod to make it a true V-neck with the cable edging the length of the V


I need t buy a couple of shirts to wear with this now -- no collars will look best, or turtlenecks, I think.

6 comments:

lexa said...

Looks like it turned out well! You'll have to wear it to Knit Nite or pop in to the store wearing it sometime soon. (I work Wed, Thurs, Fri til 3:30 this week, hint, hint.)

Donna M said...

Turned out very well. The ribbing around the sleeves looks like it should be there. Maybe someone at KN will show you how to crochet. I can do a little and it's not hard.

Marti said...

That is positively adorable on you! I love it! And I love the collar, I think it really adds a nice finished look to the vest. I think the ribbing around the armholes suits it as well.

Congrats on selling the car too!

I can crochet a little. If you're interested, I could show you at KN.

As for the left over yarn from the project, there's always hats and scarves. Perhaps Irish Hiking scarf?

Ragan Knits etc... said...

I love your vest! It looks good, blurry pic and all! :-)

Dorothy said...

Love the vest!!
Now I wish I had a good stash of chunky yarn. Will have to go see what I can find. Not much hope - most of what I have is odd balls. (does that say something about me??)
Great job!!

Steph said...

Great vest!

I especially like the grin in the second photo!