Saturday 21 August 2010

Git 'er done!

A few weeks ago (maybe months, who's counting, eh?), I posted that I had some Single Socks that I wanted to get out of my project bag ... a little bit of time and dedicated knitting (a few other projects crept in while I was working on them, but at least I got back to the socks!), and check out the end products ...


These ones are Nearly Normal socks ... knit from Patons Kroy Stripes, Burnished Sierra colourway, on size 2.75 mm needles in a 3 x 1 rib for the majority of the sock, but a 2x2 rib for the cuffs - and a regular strong heel. I started these when my BIL was in hospital over Christmas and new years, and had them nearly done when he got out in early January. When I piked them up again, I figured it would be close in the amount of yarn I had - and I was right -- ran out with just a smidge to do at the toes, and even though I had the scraps from the first sock, and scraps form a pair I made T in the same colourway, I couldn't find any orange to finish them off, so these socks are a perfect match but for the last inch of the toes - Nearly Normal!


These were started for my Dad's birthday (March 31) - but I had started them in plenty of time to get them done - or so I thought. His B-day has come and gone, but ... until yesterday, i still had toes to graft. These are made of On Your Toes sock yarn, in the Most Boring Colourway in the World, and were pretty darn boring to knit unless I was in the dark ... seriously. Knit on my usual 2,75 mm needles, cast on 76, with a 2 x 2 ribbed cuff and stocking stitch for the rest. I did an EOP heel (birthday gifts are supposed to be swanky, eh?) . T has been admiring them since I finished the first sock of this pair ... now I am not sure what to do (my dad has never asked for socks and when I mention them, he curls up his nose, remembering the scratchy, thick Briggs & Little woolies his mom used to knit him - my socks are different! I'll hold off gifting them to either of them for a while until I decide (they are size 11/12 - not to be gifted in haste!)

Still no progress on the Circle Socks (can't find the ball of yarn in the right colourway - I stashed it somewhere, but goodness knows where!) or the Pink and green Monkey ( I don't want to rip - but don't have enough yarn to make a second sock - oh the choices are not good!).

I have knit a bit on Mom's second birthday sock, but am not yet to the heel of the second sock, so it could still end up not done for a while.

I'll post later on some other projects that have been jumping in and taking time away from the single sock completion project ... I must have a concentration problem, s'all I'm sayin'!

1 comment:

lexa said...

I can really see those On Your Toes socks being hard for you to finish. I know how you love colorful!