Saturday 4 July 2009

THIS ...

is what has been keeping me busy for over a week --

THIS is the float that I help to assemble for the Privateer Day's Parade (held earlier today). It is all about history in our community -- and let me tell you, Queens County, NS is steeped (actually, saturated) in history! -- this year is the 250th anniversary of the founding of Liverpool Township (we've been a town since 1759, that's pretty old!). Since I work for the whole County, and like to be inclusive and celebrate all of our community, I decided to do some research and find out what other anniversaries are this year or in the next few years -- there have been saw milling businesses in Greenfield for over 180 years; our local paper mill, and largest employer in the county, turns 80 this year (November, I think!); Port Medway lighthouse is going for federal heritage designation as it turns 110 this year, Samuel de Champlain mapped Port Mouton 404 years ago, and the Queens County Fair has been operational for 130 years in 2010.


There are a lot more big milestones, but we only had a 16 foot trailer and a half ton truck -- to do all the history, we'd have needed a whole parade!

Anyhow - the parade is over, won't need the float again until Fall - Queens County Fair parade!
T and I built the little replica of the Queens County Fair main building ... it was kinda neat to do, and actually looks a lot like it. I also pulled together the costumes (thrift store finds, modified with the sewing machine to look like 1700's clothes), and a small team of us at work assembled the float -- I enjoy doing the float each year; it helps me to flex my creative muscles.

1 comment:

lexa said...

I was on the wrong side of the street to snap your picture. I was in front of the fire hall.

The NS Guides Assoc is 100 years old this year and have stuff planned at Hibernia to celebrate in August.