Sunday 22 June 2008

Things that give me joy

Every now and then, I stumble across something that gives me great joy, something that when I look at it makes me giggle, and when I think about it, I can't help but to smile. Last night, I made something that does those things ... I present "Milly".






Milly is a creation for my Pocket Project, and will represent District #7, which contains Mill Village, Charleston, Port Medway, East Port Medway, Danesville and Riversdale. What is her significance to those communities, you may ask. Well, for many years, there was an annual "Tubin' Festival" over the Father's Day weekend which started in Charleston and ended in Mill Village. Hundreds of people would load into their inner tubes, tie them together and drift lazily down the Medway River on a Sunday afternoon. It was a much anticipated event that drew all ages, families, youth, and adults from near and far. Although the Festival stopped several years ago, "tubin'" is still a summer pastime many enjoy on that river and others throughout Queens. Milly is in her bikini, ready for an afternoon of relaxed socializing.






3 comments:

Marti said...

Oh man, too cute!

Donna M said...

Tubin' Millie. How neat is that?
Have a great conference!

Dorothy said...

Tubin' Millie is just too precious!